A classic symbol of luxury and taste, marble is a stunning material that is a highly sought after by our client base as a kitchen or bathroom benchtop material. This week, we look at the properties of marble and what it is that makes it such a great benchtop material.
What is marble?
A metamorphic form of limestone (where limestone has undergone heat or pressure transformation), marble is a hard, crystalline rock which is usually white with coloured mottling or streaks. Marble has been revered for its beauty and used in both sculpture and in building construction since classical times.
What are the benefits of a marble benchtop?
- Softer than many other materials, marble is workable and therefore ideal if you want a bench design that isn’t strictly geometric.
- If you’re looking for a white natural stone benchtop, it’s virtually impossible to go past elegant marble.
- Marble isn’t a big heat conductor and is naturally cool, so it’s ideal for kitchen use
- Although soft, marble is quite durable and a long-lasting option for your benchtop as it is resistant to scratches, cracks and breaking
- As it is a widely available stone, marble is often a cost-effective option
What kind of kitchen design is marble best suited to?
Marble has been used as a building material for centuries, but it somehow still manages to look timeless and seamlessly integrate with any interior aesthetic. White marble benchtops are incredibly popular in modern, minimalist kitchen spaces which use a lot of white cladding, simple shapes, industrial finishings, and blonde wood.
What are some other ways marble can be incorporate into my interiors?
Due to its naturally cool temperature and resistance to heat, marble is an ideal material to use in the construction of fireplaces. Marble is also used for tiling, cladding, sinks, baths.
Stone Designs Group stocks an extensive collection of marble benchtop materials and designs. With marble imported from all over the world, we can offer our clients a wide range of colours and styles which we can then customise to suit your design specifications. To learn more about our capabilities, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us by calling 03 9498 3444.